Frequently Asked Questions

Wondering about the weather in Zambia, what kind of visa you need or if you can do your own laundry? You’ve come to the right place. Check out our most frequently asked questions. If you’re question is not there, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Do I need a Visa?

Please feel free to contact us for the most up to date information as this is dependent on your nationality and is subject to change. Visas for Zambia can be purchased upon arrival at the border or airport. Though there is a credit card machine at some borders/airports now, it is still advisable to bring US $ cash in case these are down.

A single entry visa is US $ 50
A double entry visa is US $ 80 
Kaza Univisa US$50 – email us for current information
We recommend a double entry visa, if you are planning to go to Chobe National Park in Botswana or see the Zimbabwean side of the Victoria Falls.

What's the weather like?

Is from May to the middle of August and the average high temperatures range from 25-27°C (77-81°F) and average low temperatures are between 7-10°C (45-50°F)

Is from the middle of August to the end of April and average highs temperatures range from 32-36°C (90-94°F) and average low temperatures are between 15-19°C (59-66°F). October and November can get even hotter, so far on record it has gone up to 52°C (125°F).

The rainy season usually starts around the middle of November and will last until April. Dry season is usually from June to October.

Do I need to take malaria medication?

Malaria exists in Sub-Saharan Africa. Because each person is different, we recommend speaking with your personal doctor or local travel physician. They can advise you on what drugs you should take and the most prominent malarial zones at your time of travel.

Does Jollyboys have a restaurant? What if I would like to cook?

At Jollyboys we have a restaurant and bar.
We serve breakfast, lunch and diner. The kitchen is open from 06:30 am until 21:00 pm. The bar is open from 06:30 am until 22:30pm.

If you're coming with a group (minimum of 10) we can organise group meals for you in advance. We offer group meals for breakfast, packed breakfast, lunch and diner at both locations. Please email us for more information.

If you like to cook for yourself, feel free to use our self-serve basic kitchen. There are local grocery stores within walking distance, just ask the reception and we will point you in the right direction.

Can I drink the water and eat salads?

Jollyboys provides potable water in a water cooler between the reception and the spa. You can also buy bottled water in the Jollyboys bar and around town. The tap in our kitchen and client kitchen is connected to our own borehole which has potable water. If you are worried that your stomach may react to certain fresh foods, we recommend eating fruits and vegetables you can peel.

Can I get laundry done?

We offer a laundry service charged per kilogram. You can fill in a laundry form in our reception, where we will weigh it. If you bring your laundry before 10:00 AM in the morning it will most likely be done the same day. Payment is due when the laundry is handed in. We also have a laundry area where you can do your own laundry by hand.

Do you have linen, blankets or towels?

All our private rooms have linen, blankets and towels in the room. Our dorms include linen. Extra blankets and towels are available for a fully refundable deposit at the Jollyboys bar.

Which rooms have air-conditioning?

At Jollyboys Backpackers, all private ensuite rooms and 8 bed dorms have air-conditioning. All other rooms have fans in the room.

Is Livingstone safe? When should I take a taxi?

Livingstone is generally quite safe, but like anywhere in the world, it is best to be careful with your belongings when travelling, walking around town and doing activities. We recommend taking taxis after dark even when in a group.

Is there an ATM close by?

Within town there are several banks with an ATM available which are a short walk from Jollyboys. Please ask in our reception how to get there, and you can pick up a FREE map of the town centre.

Can I get a local sim card?

Yes, you can. There are different providers available. You can visit the MTN, Airtel or Zamtel shop in town and purchase a sim card. You need to register your sim card with your passport as identification during normal business hours.

How far is Jollyboys from the Victoria Falls?

We are 8 kilometres from the Victoria Falls. We offer a FREE one way shuttle every morning on a first come first serve basis. You can also take a taxi or a shared taxi to the falls throughout the day.